And the Name IS..............

Our baby girls name is......Megyn Velynda.......

Ever since I have wanted to have a baby I always thought I would name her Caitlyn Elizabeth, Because I am Catherine Elizabeth.....well when we were pregnant with Gwyn, I ran into tons of Katies, Kaitlyns, Kate's....Logan and I decided we needed something different... When we chose Gwyneth Bella...We never imagined we would have to pick another beautiful name.

Well...My father was diagnosed with stage IV cancer in January. My sister and I were sitting with him in the hospital after his first procedure. We started talking about family names. Well out of the blue my father (who if you knew him is not the sensitive type) told my sister and I that his favorite name was Velynda. He explained by saying she was a Magnolia Queen of 1913. My dad is a history buff. I immediately pulled out my notebook and wrote the name down. I just knew that if I had a daughter the name Velynda would be in there somewhere.

The name Megyn came from her daddy... I, like I have every other pregnancy went into panic mode around 10 weeks...I researched every name from the social security website back to the 1900's. Logan and I were on our drive home and I pulled out my list. Like always, he acted excited to discuss it....as I went through my list he said no to many and maybe to a few. Brooke was actually one of my front runners. Well Logan and I are both police officers for Clearwater PD and have had to deal with the Hogans on occasion. He thought the name Brooke reminded him too much of Brooke Hogan.

I asked him if he had thought of any names....He said actually I like the name Megyn with that spelling....He went on to explain he liked it for two reasons. #1 because he likes Megyn Kelly from Fox news and #2 he loved the spelling because it reminds him of our angel Gwyn.....So I wrote Megyn and Velynda together and it was settled right there if we were having a girl it would be Megyn Velynda Long.

I was very happy we learned the sex of her early, My father is nearing the end of his fight with cancer. We were able to tell him the name we picked. I know he was touched that we thought of him. He will most likely not get to meet his grand daughter, but she will always carry a piece of him with her.

7 comments:

Sanchez Stories said...
August 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Awsome name, and for amazing reasons!
Congrats!
Dre

Astrid said...
August 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM

You always have a way of bringing tears to my eyes. Beautiful name & 2 beautiful reasons to name her that.

Astrid

Kris said...
August 19, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Love the name and what a great story she will have!

Becky said...
August 20, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I've been following your blogs for a while and I am so happy for you guys that little Megyn is doing well. Love the name. Your story makes me sad and happy at the same time. If anyone deserves a bit of happiness its you. Bless your new baby and the sweet ones you lost to soon.

Unknown said...
August 20, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I LOVE the name. Thanks for sharing the story behind it! Hope all is well with you.

Momfulltimeto5 said...
August 25, 2009 at 10:20 PM

The best names are the ones with family ties in there somewhere. I love how the spelling reminds you of Gwyn. :) I love the name.

Praying for you,

Tracie

Roni Hunt said...
September 1, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I love this story...I have a Megan. I fell in love with the name when I taught nursery school and heard the name...I love your spelling!!! and how can you go wrong with a name your dad loves!

I will continue to pray for your father. Your father will always be a special part of Megyn's story.

love and prayers...roni

Back to Home Back to Top this is our LONG journey. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.